Thursday, February 2, 2012

Pick time

Not sure I have waivered very much from my original thought that the Giants would beat the Patriots in Super Bowl 46 on Sunday night.  I think things may have shifted more in favor of the G-men in the last week or so.  If I'm the Patriots I'm hugely worried about the ankle of Rob Gronkowski.  He has been slowed since he was tackled midway through the AFC Championship game and hobbled off the field with a high ankle sprain.  It normally takes 5-6 weeks for the ankle to heel properly...the kickoff on Sunday will be the 2 week mark. If you need any evidence about how long high ankle sprains take to heel just think back to Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger. He was hurt in early December but was still severely hampered a month later in the playoff loss to the Broncos. I think Gronk will try and play but really how effective can he be? 

Here is how I see the Giants winning the game.  They will actually try and play ball control with the running of Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs and Eli Manning will be given enough time to pick apart the Patriots weak secondary.  Now the fly in the ointment is Tom Brady.  If the Pats offensive line is able to give Brady time to set and pick his targets it could be a long night for the G-Men.  I don't think the New York linebackers and defensive backs are good enough to stay with Wes Welker, Aaron Hernandez and Deion Branch.

I still give the nod to the Giants 28-24.

No comments: