Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Free JC

Let this be said first off...I don't condone the taking of illegal Performance Enhancing Drugs in sports but the case of Phils Reliever J.C. Romero is crazy. He faces a 50 game suspension and the loss of about 1 and a quarter million dollars in salary for taking a supplement that was retroactively determined to contain a banned substance. All the information that Romero had, at the time he purchased the over the counter product, was it was OK to take. After failing a drug test in August Romero was told he faced a suspension. He appealed and in November an arbitrator ruled that Romero should be suspended for negligence!!!! You have got to be kidding me. This guy followed all the rules and gets whacked for being negligent! Where was the arbitrator when Sammy Sosa, Jason Giambi, Barry Bonds and the like were taking ILLEGAL substances and didn't get suspended or lose any income! If I were Romero I would go to court and get this puppy thrown out. Late last year a group of NFL players had their suspensions overturned when a similar situation led to their violations of the NFL rules. In fact I think I could win the appeal for J.C. and I don't play a lawyer on the Radio and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn!

No comments: